Tuesday 13 January 2009

GAME REVIEW : Prince of Persia (Xbox 360)

PRINCE OF PERSIA (Xbox 360)

Developed by Ubisoft
Published by Ubisoft


STORY

I liked the story, but I didn't love it... until the end that is! The ending of this game is such a tease, all I'll say is the final achievement is called "To Be Continued". How cruel is that.

The game follows a mysterious figure in the desert (you never know his name), who meets a Princess entitled Elika. They team up to take down Ahriman... a really bad god who corrupts all the light.

I won't give away too much. The best thing about it is the chemistry between the Prince and Elika. Should make for some pretty "hot" scenes in later games. Haha.

GRAPHICS

I loved the graphical style of this game. It's meant to look like an illustrated paining... so the game is cell shaded in a really advanced way. It looks fantastic though.

The Prince and Elika are both well designed, but the environments are the most amazing thing. Sometimes when you restore an area to light... its just jaw dropping.

I also loved the look of the corruption, and some of the bosses were amazing. Especially one that catches fire, and everything is only lit by him. That's probably the graphical highlight for me.

SOUND

The sound design was also good. Sound effects were as you'd expect... nothing amazing.

As for the voice acting... I wasn't sure at first. They used the same actor that did Uncharted as Drake, meaning that the Prince is now cocky and always giving one liners. He grew on me though, and he began to feel more like an action hero than any of the Prince's in previous games. Elika was also done brilliantly.

The music was superb. It felt epic, and very orchestral. With a wide range of themes all the way through. Top notch stuff.

GAMEPLAY

Here's the big one. I liked the gameplay. At first I thought the Prince was a little slow, and seemed heavier then in previous titles. I did began to like it. Everything seems so fluid. The animations are amazing, probably the best I've seen in a game so far.

As for Elika... at first I was worried she would make the game too easy by never letting me die. By the end of the game I didn't know what I'd do without her. Like the dog in Fable 2, the companionship is extraordinary and you really come to rely on each other. She never gets in the way... only helps. I hope in a future game they make Elika available for co-op!

And the fighting... I loved it. A really deep fighting system, where you have to take everything slower and think about your next move rather than just slamming buttons all the time. I didn't like the amount of quick time events or button mashing involved, but apart from that, no complaints.

BEST MOMENT

That ending. "To be Continued..." HOW DARE THEY!

STORY

**********

GRAPHICS

**********

SOUND

**********

GAMEPLAY

**********

OVERALL

**********



No comments:

Post a Comment