Friday 27 February 2009

TOP 5 ROMANCE FILMS

05. ROMEO + JULIET (1996)

Directed by Baz Luhrmann

Starring Leonardo DiCaprio and Claire Danes

WHY?
It may be a drama... but Romeo and Juliet is always known as a tragic romance. It is a story about romance, and how it goes wrong. Some people hate this film, but I loved it the first time I saw it. The language may put some people off, but its a very deep film and the language just solidifies this. The modern setting really energizes this film, and some of the sequences are fantastic. The romance is perfect though, especially when they first meet through the fish tank. Great performances all round too, and an amazing soundtrack.

BEST MOMENT
The love scene in the swimming pool.

BEST QUOTE
Benvolio: By my head, here come the Capulets!
Mercutio: By my heel, I care not.


04. THE NOTEBOOK (2004)

Directed by Nick Cassavetes

Starring Ryan Gosling and Rachel McAdams

WHY?
It may be a bit of a girly film - but this one is a very guilty pleasure for me. I love this film. It is terrifically well made, with beautiful cinematography and outstanding performances. Rachel McAdams is hot - just thought I'd say that. It is very sad, but a very rewarding film to watch for all ages - and a perfect date movie.

BEST MOMENT
When they confront each other on the dock in the rain.

BEST QUOTE
Young Noah: Will you go out with me?
Young Allie: What? No.
Young Noah: No...?
Young Allie: No.
Young Noah: Why not?
Young Allie: I dunno, because I don't want to.
Young Noah: OK, then you leave me no other choice.
Young Allie: AHHHH
Young Noah: I'm gonna ask you one more time, will you or will you not go out with me? I think my hand's slipping.
Young Allie: OK, OK. Fine I'll go out with you
Young Noah: No, don't do me any favors.
Young Allie: No, no I want to.
Young Noah: Say it.
Young Allie: I wanna go out with you.
Young Noah: Say it again.
Young Allie: I WANNA GO OUT WITH YOU!
Young Noah: All right, all right we'll go out.


03. THE LAST KISS (2006)

Directed by Tony Goldwyn

Starring Zach Braff and Jacinda Barrett

WHY?
A film that has grown and grown on me... now I see it as one of my favourite films ever. It is probably my girlfriend's most watched film - and for good reason. The story is great, and not a conventional romance film by any means. It is about temptation and what is considered right and wrong. By the end of the film, you are so drawn into the characters and the story that you never want it to end.

BEST MOMENT
Sitting on the porch at the end. One of the favourite film sequences ever.

BEST QUOTE
Kim: Having a crisis are we?
Michael: Do I look like I'm having a crisis?
Kim: Everyone I know is having a crisis. I know you're not supposed to get them until midlife but I think something's happening to our metabolism
Michael: Our metabolism?
Kim: [nods] Yeah, I mean the world is moving so fast now, we are all chasing something so fast that we start freaking out long before our parents did. Feel my heart.
[puts his hand in her chest]
Kim: Feel how fast it is?
Michael: ...that's a fast heart.
Kim: ‘Cause we don't ever stop to breathe anymore...
[takes his hand off her chest]
Kim: You gotta remember to breathe or you'll die.
02. LOVE ACTUALLY (2003)

Directed by Richard Curtis

Starring Hugh Grant and Bill Nighy and many, many others...

WHY?
I love all of Richard Curtis' films... and they all deserve credit... but at the end of the day, this is the crown jewel of British comedy romance. A very complex narrative weaving many different characters together. It is hilarious, and very sad. It's interesting because not everyone has a happy ending. I never get bored of it, because there is always so much going on, and it is always interesting. Each character is fantastic, and very unique from the major characters like Hugh Grant as the Prime Minister, or Bill Nighy as Billy Mack... to the nude double love story that is interweaved too. Great watching all round.

BEST MOMENT
When Emma Thompson breaks down in her room when she realises her husband is having an affair. It's heartbreaking to watch.

BEST QUOTE
[in Portuguese]
Jamie: Good evening. Mr. Barros?
Mr. Barros: Yes?
Jamie: I am here to ask your daughter for her hands in marriage.
Mr. Barros: You want to marry my daughter?
Jamie: Yes.
Mr. Barros: [yelling toward the back of the house] Come here, there is a man at the door. He wants to marry you.
[a large and confused woman emerges]
Sophia Barros: But I've never seen him before.
Mr. Barros: Who cares?
Sophia Barros: You're going to sell me to a complete stranger?
Mr. Barros: Sell? Who said 'sell?' I'll pay him.
Jamie: Pardon me. I'm meaning your other daughter - Aurelia.


01. GARDEN STATE (2004)

Directed by Zach Braff

Starring Zach Braff and Natalie Portman

WHY?
Absolutely my favourite drama romance film ever. Zach Braff both directed it, wrote it and starred in it... and everything shines here. It is the story of transformation, and about people. All quirky and strange characters. The film visually matches this theme too, with lots of strange yet hilarious moments - like a shirt that matches the wallpaper. Natalie Portman's character in this film is so innocent that I totally fell for her - a great performance that I couldn't get enough of. The music is also mindblowing - Zach Braff won a Grammy for the soundtrack which is 110% deserved. Don't take my word for it, see it today.

BEST MOMENT
The first kiss between Largeman and Sam, in the rain.

BEST QUOTE
Andrew Largeman: I think we've corrupted this innocent girl enough for one day!
Sam: I'm not innocent.
Andrew Largeman: Yes, you are! That's what I like about you, okay? And I don't want this guy taking you to some sketchy quarry in the middle of Newark to find crack whores huffing turpentine or pit bulls raping each other or whatever else is down here!
Mark: Man... that's the most worked up I've ever seen you.
Sam: He's protecting me.
Andrew Largeman: So?
Sam: He *likes* me!
Andrew Largeman: Don't be cute.
Sam: He's my knight in shining armor.
Andrew Largeman: Don't talk about knights around Mark, it's a sore subject.
Mark: I'm gonna kill that motherfucker!
Andrew Largeman: Pun intended?


No comments:

Post a Comment