Tuesday 28 April 2009

MOVIE REVIEW : I Love You, Man

I LOVE YOU, MAN

Directed by John Hamburg

Starring Paul Rudd and Peter Segel


PLOT

Friendless Peter Klaven goes on a series of man-dates to find a Best Man for his wedding. But when his insta-bond with his new B.F.F. puts a strain on his relationship with his fiancée, can the trio learn to live happily ever after?

WHAT I THOUGHT

This is the latest in the Apatow line of comedy films, who also made hits like The 40 Year Old Virgin, Knocked Up, Superbad and more. I love these films because they're so rude and dirty. I try to watch them all. The only two I haven't seen so far are Drillbit Taylor and Role Models but I hope to catch them both soon.

I was really looking forward to this one then.

Paul Rudd is a great comedy actor but I hadn't seen him lead anything before. And Peter Segel did a great job in Forgetting Sarah Marshall, but could he keep it up?

I'm glad to say that I was pleasantly surprised. It's hilariously funny, makes you feel good and can be enjoyed by all.

I wouldn't say it's as funny as Knocked Up or Forgetting Sarah Marshall, but in many ways it doesn't need to be. The main thing I like about the Apatow comedies is that they all have a similar style and sense of humour, yet they all feel very different.

The concept of this one was bromance. Rather than a love interest it was about getting a best friend. I'm sure the writers were able to do a lot with this. I found myself during the film laughing at how true some of this stuff was. It's like watching yourself with mates at times and that's the best thing about it. There's a great moment when Paul Rudd's fiance can't believe he spent 8 hours doing nothing... but its so true. All us lads know what its like to just waste time doing nothing at all but hang out and be lazy.

All the cast are great. Jon Favreau makes a hilarious appearance as a really grumpy angry husband, which is funny because he's meant to be such a nice guy. I also thought Paul Rudd's fiancee was really great in her role too.

The two main characters are the focus though here and they have great chemistry together which is all thats needed.

It is well paced, very funny and will leave a good feeling with you. I really recommend this one. Just don't expect as many laughs as you would with similar films...

BEST MOMENT

When Sidney decides to start a fight with Lou Ferrigno (who plays the original Incredible Hulk). It doesn't go too well.

MY RATING
**********


No comments:

Post a Comment