Sunday 5 April 2009

MOVIE REVIEW : Monsters vs Aliens 3D

MONSTERS VS ALIENS 3D

Directed by Rob Letterman and Conrad Vernon

Starring Reese Witherspoon and Seth Rogen


PLOT

When a meteorite from outer space hits a young girl and turns her into a giant monster, she is taken to a secret government compound where she meets a ragtag group of monsters also rounded up over the years.

WHAT I THOUGHT

Unlike Marley & Me... I was really looking forward to Monsters vs Aliens. DreamWorks last effort Kung Fu Panda was actually unbelievably awesome. It didn't just work as an animation, but also as a really decent kung fu film too. I am happy to tell you that this film is similar in a lot of ways. It is to sci-fi what Kung Fu Panda is to martial arts.

From the first time it was announced I was looking forward to it. It had a great sounding concept. It almost sounded so unique that it had to be a Pixar film... but it Dreamworks this time! It was also their first 3D effort, so I was interested in seeing what that was like too.

Anyway... onto the film...

It moves at a rocket pace. It is quite short. Clocking in at only about 1 hour and 20 mins, but that time is perfect because it sends you on a great ride and stops before it ever gets boring. The writing is top notch for both the human aspect, the monsters and the aliens. All feel very unique which is great.

The action is spectacular. Like Bolt earlier this year, I am really liking the way that CG movies are now becoming a way to see something amazing that isn't quite possible yet in live action. I don't want to spoil anything too much for you but there is a sequence on a bridge that is tremendous fun and incredibly tense and very funny. It's a very clever mix of elements that works brilliantly.

The comedy is also great. Pretty much what you'd expect. Seth Rogen steals the show as the gelatinous blob called "Bob" who unfortunately has no brain. His personality makes everything better, and he keeps everything at quite an innocent level even when things are taking a turn for the more sinister.

Reese Witherspoon does a good job too at selling the journey of the main character who on her wedding day turns 50 feet tall! Her fiancee is perfectly playing by Paul Rudd who plays a weatherman here (could this be a slight nod to his character in Anchorman?)

Insectosaurus was my favourite monster. A bug that has been made into a gargantuan beast though hasn't made his brain any bigger. He likes bright lights. He's a very clever character though because he doesn't speak or barely show any emotion, yet I still became very attached to him and felt great when he turned up to fight the alien robot probe.

I also loved the character of the General played by Kiefer Sutherland. His best known work is of course playing Jack Bauer on 24, and as an avid fan of the show, I found it hilarious watching him. He is a hyperactive, 90 year old, General that loves war and giving nerds wedgies. Great stuff all around.

The other characters are good too. I loved Hugh Laurie's mad scientist cockroach, especially the way he laughs hysterically at anything in the spirit of a true mad man. The villain is also good, though maybe a little under used.

I would say the main problem, if only problem for me, with the film is that the alien aspect isn't in it enough. The movie is focused a lot more on the Monsters and I wanted to see more aliens. Maybe in a sequel they will rectify this?

The main aspect of the film that really took me by surprise though was the sci-fi. It's really well integrated into the narrative through big spoofs such as the way the President plays Close Encounters to the aliens when they arrive... to the tiny nods like the E.T. music that briefly plays when they fire missiles. You really have to try and keep up with the amount of references, and I loved that about the film.

The 3D is also fantastic. Even better in my opinion than Bolt which was a pretty hard thing to do. It never gets in your face (except for one part at the beginning that is done delibrately to shock you). I forgot about the glasses after a while and just enjoyed the experience. It just makes everything come to life a lot more and makes you feel like you are there.

The final thing that I want to mention is simply the CG. It is really really great here. Great on a level with Pixar. The human characters may not look realistic but they are brilliantly animated and brought to life fantastically. Also Bob is great just because I have never seen something so complex (though simple) in a CG film so far.

As you can tell, I really loved this film. I can't wait to catch it again in Blu-Ray and hopefully may see it at the cinema again if possible. If you love animation, action, comedy or sci-fi you are bound to find something to like in this film. Truly great family entertainment.

BEST MOMENT

It's all fantastic. But I'd say the best bit is the battle on the bridge. It feels bigger than anything else you'll have seen on that bridge before!

MY RATING
**********



1 comment:

  1. My second 3D film experience and it did't disapoint me.
    I really enjoyed it, the 3D was awesome and I also forgot about wearing the glasses and just enjoyed the "3D experience" I liked all the monsters but my Fave was definately Bob, he was just so funny and Seth Rogan was the perfect voice for the part.

    9/10

    ReplyDelete