Sunday 5 April 2009

MOVIE REVIEW : Marley & Me

MARLEY & ME

Directed by David Frankel

Starring Owen Wilson and Jennifer Aniston


PLOT

A family learns important life lessons from their adorable, but naughty and neurotic dog.

WHAT I THOUGHT

Oh dear. My life has reached a new low writing this review. I seriously hate dog films. There seems to have been a wave of them recently. It's getting very tiresome. The two worst contenders I feel so far are "Beverly Hills Chihuahua" and the awesomely titled "Hotel for Dogs". I was really not looking forward to this one as you might expect, but my girlfriend forced me too against my will.

I am ashamed to tell you that I liked this film.

That's because of one main reason. It hasn't been marketed right at all. This is not a dog film. This is quite an emotional drama based around Owen Wilson and Jennifer Aniston trying to start a family. The dog is one part of their lives, and the film does focus on him a lot. But he is more a narrative device used to view the family's life.

The film chronicles about 15 years of their life together, and I really enjoyed this aspect of it. The film "Click" that came out a few years ago was marketed as a pure comedy, when the actual film was a hard to watch at times drama about a man losing everything. I don't know why film studios do this sometimes, but the trailers are made in a way that doesn't represent the final film. This is one of those films.

There is actually one scene in the middle that really surprised me, because I wasn't expecting it in a film like this. I won't give it away, because it has been hidden well.

As for the actual dog... not too bad. The animal training mixed between very good and stuff I've seen before. I did particularly like one scene where Marley tries to jump out of a moving car and ends up walking along the road with two legs while his back ones are still in the car. I admit that I've never seen a dog do that before!

It's a film that makes you think about family and what can happen if you decide to start one. Like I said... be brave and give it a try. You may like it.

BEST MOMENT

When Jennifer Anniston's character goes to the gynaecologist for the first time. Wasn't expecting what happened.

MY RATING
**********



This trailer does not represent the final product!!!

3 comments:

  1. When I saw the trailer for this film I didn't think it looked that good and wasn't really interested in seeing it, however i heard lots of people saying how good it was so thought it would be worth a watch.
    I was really suprised, this seemed a totally different film to what the trailers had shown.
    I really enjoyed the story. there were a few suprising moments in the film that i found really moving, and i was in tears by the end.

    a really suprisingly enjoyable film.
    Don't Knock it till you watch it.

    8/10

    ReplyDelete
  2. You sicken me

    ReplyDelete
  3. These blog posts will be showing on Boxes tab of
    your recent blog post. Different plugins are controlled in different
    ways. Word - Press is an open source blog publishing application and can be
    used for basic content management.

    Also visit my blog post :: WP Social Press

    ReplyDelete