Saturday 24 January 2009

TOP 2D ANIMATED FILMS 20-11

20. THE LION KING 3 (2004) - DISNEY VIDEOS

Directed by Bradley Raymond

WHY?
The only Disney Video film on this list. I really normally hate the direct to video sequels... but the two Lion King sequels were the exceptions for me. Especially this one. I watched it on a rainy day, not expecting anything much. It was great though. The whole of Lion King, but through the eyes of Timon and Pumbaa. It's absolutely hilarious, and definately worth seeing.

BEST MOMENT
How it was all Pumbaa's fault as to why the creatures all bowed at the birth of Simba!

BEST QUOTE
Mom: Everything the light touches... . belongs to someone else!
Timon: Funny, I thought you were going in a whole different direction.


19. TITAN A.E. (2000) - FOX ANIMATION

Directed by Don Bluth and Gary Goldman

WHY?
Truly epic film. Believe it or not, I think it's one of the sci-fi greats... even though it is animation. Some of the visuals are out of this world, with a really great plot too.

BEST MOMENT
A sequence where they try to make their way through the trail of an icey comet.

BEST QUOTE
Akima: You can't call a planet "Bob."
Cale: So now you're the boss. You're the King of Bob.
Akima: Can't we just call it "Earth"?
Cale: No one said you have to live on Bob.
Akima: I'm never calling it that.


18. THE JUNGLE BOOK (1967) - DISNEY

Directed by Wolfgang Reitherman

WHY?
Hate to say this... but the only classic Disney film on this list. Not to say I don't love them, I do... I just prefer the newer ones because I grew up with them. Regardless, this is my favourite of the classics with brilliant animations and songs... probably the peak of Disney at that time.

BEST MOMENT
I'd say its the song "I Wanna Be Like You" and the whole sequence with the Monkey King.

BEST QUOTE
Buzzie: Hey Flaps, So what we were going to do?
Flaps: I don't know, what'cha onwanna do?
Buzzie: Look Flaps, first I say "what were going to do?" then you say "I don't know, what'cha wanna do?" then I say "what we're going to do" then you say what'cha wanna do" let's do something.
Flaps: Ok. What'cha wanna do?


17. MULAN (1998) - DISNEY

Directed by Tony Bancroft and Barry Cook

WHY?
This is actually a very epic film in scope. Some of the battle scenes are awesome, along with great characters and some really cool songs - especially Jackie Chan singing "I'll Make a Man Out of You" on the DVD!

BEST MOMENT
The epic battle on the snow topped hill.

BEST QUOTE
Mulan: [Mulan and Mushu escape back to shore from Yao, Lin and Chin-Po] Boy, that was close.
Mushu: No...
Mushu: [brushes his teeth] That was vile! You owe me big.
[Mushu squirts more toothpaste in his mouth and brushes again]
Mulan: I never want to see a naked man again.
[a big group of naked men run past them, laughing]
Mushu: Hey, don't look at me. I ain't biting no more butts.


16. THE HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME (1996) - DISNEY

Directed by Gary Trousdale and Kirk Wise

WHY?
While not as great as some of the new Disney films... its still pretty awesome indeed! Especially the Sanctuary scene! It's got a really great villain, and a storyline that isn't usual for a Disney film with the hero not getting the girl.

BEST MOMENT
The climax of the film where Quasimodo saves Esmerelda from burning.

BEST QUOTE
Phoebus: You fight almost as well as a man.
Esmeralda: Funny, I was going to say the same thing about you.


15. POCAHONTAS (1995) - DISNEY

Directed by Mike Gabriel and Eric Goldberg

WHY?
I love this film. Even though not entirely true... its still the best adaption of the story. Some of the songs are fantastic, and the animation is top notch. It's also got a huge bunch of voices from Mel Gibson to Christian Bale! And who couldn't love Percy the dog?

BEST MOMENT
John Smith and Pocahontas' first kiss... that gets rudely interrupted by a gun shot!

BEST QUOTE
Grandmother Willow: Come closer, John Smith.
[she inspects him]
Grandmother Willow: He has a good soul. And he's handsome, too.
John Smith: Oh, I like her.
Pocahontas: I knew you would.


14. FERN GULLY: THE LAST RAINFOREST (1992) - FOX ANIMATION

Directed by Bill Kroyer

WHY?
An amazing film in every respect! A lot of people don't know it, but it deserves to have more recognition. It's truly scary... especially the villain - Hexus! But Batty (voiced by Robin Williams) is one of the best characters ever created! It's also got a really powerful message behind it, which most animation films don't.

BEST MOMENT
The rebirth of Hexus around the tree cutting machine!

BEST QUOTE
Batty Koda: Oh sonic interference, what a nightmare... I thought I saw a human...
[sees Zak]
Batty Koda: AH! HUMAN!
[falls from tree]
Crysta: That's a human?
Batty Koda: Yes! Yes! Kill it! Restrain it! Medicate it! Something!
[takes deep breaths]
Batty Koda: Puff up! Puff up! They hate that!


13. AN AMERICAN TAIL: FIEVEL GOES WEST (1991) - UNIVERSAL

Directed by Phil Nibbelink and Simon Wells

WHY?
Far better than the first film - which didn't even make this list. Another Spielberg creation, and probably his best one. This film has some of the Drama of the first one, but injects it with a huge dose of comedy too... which really helps. Tiger is the best thing about this film, and a sequence where he keeps running into more and more dogs had me laughing till my lungs hurt!

BEST MOMENT
Either Tiger fleeing the dogs... or the laaaazy eye!

BEST QUOTE
Wylie Burp: [to Tiger on top of a cliff] Suck in you're paunch, boy.
Tiger: [sucks in his paunch, causing his upper body to look like a balloon]
Wylie Burp: Good. Now saunter on out there one leg in front of the other. Slow and easy.
Tiger: [makes farting noises as he walks along the cliff, but falls off the side and flys around like a deflated balloon]
Tiger: [sitting on the ground] I hurt myself.


12. THE EMPEROR'S NEW GROOVE (2000) - DISNEY

Directed by Mark Dindal

WHY?
I think it's probably the funniest animated film I've ever seen. Mainly due to Kronk. His character is pure genius. The film is amazing though, and in some ways feels completely different to other Disney films - as the humour truly drives the film. The direct to video sequel is also worth checking out - though it's not as good!

BEST MOMENT
The constant chatter between Kronk's shoulder angel and devil.

BEST QUOTE
[Kronk's Shoulder Angel and Devil debate saving Kuzco]
Kronk's Shoulder Devil: Listen up, big guy. I got three good reasons why you should just walk away. Number one. Look at that guy! He's got that sissy stringy music thing.
Kronk's Shoulder Angel: We've been through this. It's a harp, and you know it.
Kronk's Shoulder Devil: Oh, right. That's a harp, and that's a dress.
Kronk's Shoulder Angel: Robe!
Kronk's Shoulder Devil: Reason number two. Look what I can do. Ha-ha, ha!
[does one-armed handstand]
Kronk: But what does that have to do with anything?
Kronk's Shoulder Angel: No, no. He's got a point.


11. BEAUTY AND THE BEAST (1991) - DISNEY

Directed by Gary Trousdale and Kirk Wise

WHY?
This so nearly got into the top 10 - but it was just knocked out. A motion picture experience indeed. The characters are awesome in this, and really drive the whole piece. And the songs really are as good as everyone makes them out to be. I'd also say it's probably the best animation of any of the new Disney films.

BEST MOMENT
When Belle enters the West Wing for the first time... against the Beast's permission...

BEST QUOTE
Beast: Oh, it's no use. She's so beautiful, and I'm... Well, look at me!
Mrs. Potts: Oh, must help her to see past all that.
Beast: I don't know how.
Mrs. Potts: Well you can start by making yourself more presentable. Straigten up. Try to act like a gentleman.
[Beast stands up straighter]
Lumiere: Ah, yes. When she comes in give her a dashing, debonair smile. Come, come, show me the smile.
[Beast gives a big, forced smile]
Mrs. Potts: Don't frighten the poor girl!


1 comment:

  1. Humph! Mulan should have been higher!!!!!!! xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete