Tuesday 13 January 2009

MOVIE REVIEW : Australia

AUSTRALIA

Directed by Baz Luhrmann
Starring Nicole Kidman and Hugh Jackman


PLOT

Set in northern Australia before World War II, an English aristocrat who inherits a sprawling ranch reluctantly pacts with a stock-man in order to protect her new property from a takeover plot. As the pair drive 2,000 head of cattle over unforgiving landscape, they experience the bombing of Darwin, Australia, by Japanese forces firsthand.

WHAT I THOUGHT

I was really looking forward to this one. Mainly because of my love for the Director, who also brought us Moulin Rouge and the new Romeo + Juliet. I wasn't disappointed. This is most definately a Baz Luhrmann film, and I loved every minute of it.

The interesting thing to note about this movie is that it feels like four movies in one. That's not a bad thing though, because with the film's epic spanning storyline, and its huge running time, it never gets boring.

The story starts out in true Baz Luhrmann style. It feels almost exactly like Moulin Rouge again with the music, and the editing style. It then goes into more of a Western. Eventually after that section, the film goes into an epic romance. And finally, a war film to finish. Believe me, I didn't spoil anything... I just wet your appetite.

I absolutely LOVED Hugh Jackman in this film. I've always liked him, but he was such a great character. And when things get emotional towards the end, he's actually a brilliant actor. My poor girlfriend was sobbing away. Nicole Kidman was good too, but in my opinion wasn't as strong as Jackman. One amazing actor to note however is the boy newcomer, Brandon Walters. Truly terrific in his role.

So, go see this movie if you're looking for an epic experience. Some people may not like it, but I washed away by the story. The amazing visuals and awesome soundtrack are truly worth a cinema viewing.

BEST MOMENT

There's so many fantastic moments. Hmm. I suppose my favourite would have to be the Japanese bombing scene.

MY RATING

**********



No comments:

Post a Comment