Sunday 18 January 2009

MOVIE REVIEW : How to Lose Friends and Alienate People

HOW TO LOSE FRIENDS AND ALIENATE PEOPLE

Directed by Robert Weide
Starring Simon Pegg and Kirsten Dunst


PLOT

A British writer struggles to fit in at a high-profile magazine in New York. Based on Toby Young's memoir "How to Lose Friends & Alienate People".

WHAT I THOUGHT

Simon Pegg has to be one of my favourite actors. Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead are some of my top films ever, and I still loved Run, Fat Boy, Run because of him. It was for this reason that I chose to sit down and watch this film. I can't say publicity and celebrities are really my interest - but I wanted to see it for Simon Pegg.

First things first - he doesn't disappoint. If you liked him before, you'll like him now. The film was okay... but not great. He was truly the glue that held it together to make it worthwhile.

The other performances were so so. Kirsten Dunst was playing her usual character really. And I thought Megan Fox was a bit too "trampish". I did like Jeff Bridges in it, but felt he should've been in it more. Danny Huston also made a terrific villain character.

As for the film, it's pretty funny. Most of the laughs I got though were from Simon Pegg. Some of the faces he pulls, and little moments are what make his performances brilliant. I did also love the British vs American theme to the whole thing... and how Americans sometimes just don't get British humour, always leading to very awkward situations. These were the best bits.

The ending is quite predictable though, and the film does follow a very basic conventional rom-com storyline.

So, definately check this one out if you love Simon Pegg - as he is still wonderful in this as ever. Just a rental though, not really worth buying!

BEST MOMENT

Simon Pegg's performance. Once again, he continues to make me laugh all the time.

MY RATING

**********



1 comment:

  1. It was an okay film... not amazing, Simon Pegg made it good!

    ReplyDelete