Tuesday 14 April 2009

MOVIE REVIEW : Ghost Town

GHOST TOWN

Directed by David Koepp

Starring Ricky Gervais and Tea Leoni


PLOT

Bertram Pincus, is a man whose people skills leave much to be desired. When Pincus dies unexpectedly, but is miraculously revived after seven minutes, he wakes up to discover that he now has the annoying ability to see ghosts.

WHAT I THOUGHT

I watched this film hoping for the best. I like Ricky Gervais, but don't think he is god's gift to man like some people. I also like the writer: David Koepp, who writes most of Spielberg's films, but he was directing this one for his first film ever. It could go very right, or very wrong.

Turns out it was in the middle.

There is nothing bad about this film, but there is nothing great about it either.

I did like it. Ricky Gervais was funny as the pompous dentist and the rest of the cast did their job well. The main problem is that I'm writing this review and can't remember that many truly great moments. Often in a review I'll blab on and on about why the film was so great, but I'm struggling to do so on this.

There were some very good moments. Like his reaction to her dog, or towards the end there is a good sequence where he decides to help people finally. But apart from that everything seemed a little average.

I never properly laughed out loud, which was a shame because I wanted to, it just wasn't that funny!

The romantic story in it too is a bit hit and miss. Sometimes it works but I get the feeling that Ricky Gervais would never end up with this girl so it makes it a bit awkward to watch. Greg Kinnear is also good, but his character isn't... so once again I felt torn.

It was good. You may enjoy it. I did enjoy sections. Just not all of it. Don't expect greatness... you won't find it here I'm afraid.

BEST MOMENT

When Ricky Gervais's character meets Tea Leoni's Great Dane for the first time.

MY RATING
**********



No comments:

Post a Comment