Saturday 14 February 2009

MOVIE REVIEW : Bolt (3D)

BOLT (3D)

Directed by Byron Howard and Chris Williams
Starring John Travolta and Miley Cyrus


PLOT

The canine star of a fictional sci-fi/action show that believes his powers are real embarks on a cross country trek to save his co-star from a threat he believes is just as real.

WHAT I THOUGHT

I wasn't sure about this one. It wasn't a Pixar film... it was a Disney film, overseen by Pixar. I thought Meet the Robinsons was pretty good, though Chicken Little was really quite poo. Bolt could have been very good... or very bad. I'm happy to say that I thoroughly enjoyed it and would happily recommend it to anyone.

It starts with an absolutely awesome action scene that rivals some of the Kung Fu Panda fight scenes this Summer. I love that animated films can make amazing action scenes. It is of course, due to the plot, all fake... but great while it lasts. It reminded me a little of the opening of Toy Story 2 when Buzz takes on Zorg inside the video game world.

The film feels very Pixar-ish though. I was pleased to see that Pixar had created a Cars short to go in front of the film... about Mater racing in Japan, which was great too. The characters and the plot did feel very Pixar though in Bolt. The way that funny scenes and mixed with drama scenes with action thrown in all the time. There's even a montage very similar to "When She Loved Me" (the story of Jesse) from Toy Story 2... you can basically tell that John Lassetter has helped a lot along the way.

The characters are great. John Travolta is excellent as Bolt, the stealer of the show though is Rhino the Hamster... Bolt's biggest fan. I don't want to spoil anything, but anything scene with him in is pure gold.

The other thing worth noting is that the visuals are truly top notch. Explosions, water and fur are all used to the maximum here. I was lucky enough to see it in 3D which enhanced the experience ten fold.

I also loved the ending sequence, though I thought it could be terrifying for young kids. I know that I would've been scared as a kid watching it!

If there's any problem at all, its just that like many animated films, it feels a little predictable and you know what's going to happen. Don't let this put you off though. Really great film to watch, hugely enjoyable and fun all the way through... especially in 3D!

BEST MOMENT

When the hamster gets so excited inside his ball that he manages to steam himself in... due to extreme heavy breathing!

MY RATING
**********



1 comment:

  1. this was the first 3D film i have seen, i wasn't dissapointed! i thought it was really good! can't wait to see "Up" in 3D! xxx

    ReplyDelete