Monday 12 January 2009

MOVIE REVIEW : Repo! The Genetic Opera

REPO! THE GENETIC OPERA

Directed by Darren Lynn Bousman
Starring Alexa Vega and Anthony Head


PLOT

A worldwide epidemic encourages a biotech company to launch an organ-financing program similar in nature to a standard car loan. The repossession clause is a killer, however.


WHAT I THOUGHT

Well... here's a strange one. I saw the trailer for Repo! The Genetic Opera a while ago and thought... Hmm. Looked very strange to me. It had Anthony Head in though, and was a rock musical... so I thought I'd check it out.

Very strange film.

Don't let the title of it being an opera fool you... it really is an opera. The entire film is sung, no talking at all. It's incredibly gothic and very gory. It doesn't hold back on shots of people having their organs pulled out while they're still alive. Yuck. I did love Anthony Head as the Repo Man, and I thought the whole concept was pretty cool when I got into it... it was just presented in such a weird way.

It's from the director of Saw 2, 3 and 4... and the style is still very bleak, but also incredibly stylised with no normal colours, and sometimes characters talking to the camera etc. I liked quite a few of the songs in it, but some of them were just too gothic for my liking.

So, I'm not sure what to say about this film. You really need to go into it with an open mind. It's quite a heavy watch... and at times can be confusing... but if you're a fan of the music, or of graphic novels... you should check it out.

BEST MOMENT

Anthony Head as the Repo Man. I've always loved him... always will...

MY RATING

**********



1 comment:

  1. Daniel, do you think i would like this? As you know i love my musicals/rock operas >_>

    ReplyDelete