Thursday 22 January 2009

My Mini Oscars!

I was so angry by some of the Oscar decisions this year, I decided to make my own. They probably won't be the same as yours, but remember these are just my personal opinion.

BEST ACTION FILM:
The Dark Knight

RUNNERS UP:
Iron Man
Quantum of Solace

A difficult dcision, but in the end The Dark Knight had to win. It offered action like no other. Especially in Imax. Iron Man and Quantum of Solace also offered fantastic action, but not on the scale of The Dark Knight.

BEST ADVENTURE FILM:

Hellboy II: The Golden Army


RUNNER UP:
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystall Skull

My favourite of all the genres, I was surprised that Indiana Jones 4 wasn't my top one! Even though it wasn't amazing, I still loved it, and some moments truly captured that unique spirit of Indiana Jones. Hellboy II however blew the first film away in every respect, and is still fantastic watching it again!

BEST COMEDY FILM:
Step Brothers

RUNNERS UP:
Forgetting Sarah Marshall
Tropic Thunder

This one was really difficult for me. It's been a good year for comedy. The crown has to go to Step Brothers for me though, its so immature that its right up my street. Great performances from everyone, and many comic moments that I'll never forget.

BEST DRAMA FILM:
Seven Pounds


RUNNERS UP:
Australia
Revolutionary Road

There was no doubt in my mind about this one. I loved Seven Pounds. When I saw it, I knew it was good, but it has stayed with me... and I really want to see it again!!! Australia was also fantastic, purely epic in scope... but Seven Pounds was better.


BEST ANIMATED FILM:
Wall E


RUNNERS UP:
Kung Fu Panda
Horton Hears a Who

This was another easy one to judge. Kung Fu Panda and Horton Hears a Who were both fantastic, but Wall E was one of the most exceptional animated films I've ever seen... not just this year!

BEST THRILLER FILM:
Cloverfield


RUNNER UP:
Eagle Eye

Most people forget that Cloverfield came out in 2008. It did though. And I still absolutely love it. The best cinematic experience of my life, it is still amazing to watch in Blu Ray. I love the monster, and everything about the film is perfect in my eyes.


BEST MAIN ACTOR:

Leonardo DiCaprio - Revolutionary Road


RUNNERS UP:
Hugh Jackman - Australia
Will Smith - Seven Pounds

It does make me angry that none of these actors got an Oscar nomination this year. Especially Leonardo DiCaprio, his performance was as good as, if not better than Kate Winslet's in Revolutionary Road, yet she is getting all the glory. His acting was fantastic in it, as was Hugh Jackman in Australia and Will Smith in Seven Pounds.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR:
Heath Ledger - The Dark Knight

RUNNERS UP:
Brad Pitt - Burn After Reading
Robert Downey Jr - Tropic Thunder

Of course it had to be Heath. One of the greatest performances of all time. I don't even need to explain why. Everyone knows why he is getting every award possible for his version of the Joker. However, nods to Brad Pitt in Burn After Reading, who really was the highlight of the film in my eyes. Also, Robert Downey Jr in Tropic Thunder because he really, really made me think he was black. Really quite amazing.

BEST ACTRESS:
Kate Winslet - Revolutionary Road


RUNNERS UP:
Rosario Dawson - Seven Pounds
Maggie Gyllenhaal - The Dark Knight

I know that I just said Leonardo DiCaprio was better... but Kate Winslet is still absolutely fantastic in Revolutionary Road. The two of them together are what make the film so amazing.

BEST CG:
Hellboy II: The Golden Army


RUNNERS UP:
Iron Man
The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian

Another difficult one to judge, as CG is getting better and better all the time. In the end though I chose Hellboy II due to the fact that most of the time there is CG being blended in flawlessly with live action things, making it unlike anything I've seen. Keep at it Del Toro. Bring on The Hobbit!

BEST SOUND DESIGN:
Cloverfield


RUNNERS UP:
The Dark Knight
Wall E

Once again, no competition here. Cloverfield has probably the best sound I've ever heard in a movie so far... and the fact that it didn't get an Oscar nomination makes me so angry! BLAH!!!! The monster's roar is epic, and the constant booms and bangs always keep you on the edge of your seat. The sound design is what makes Cloverfield so good.

BEST SOUNDTRACK:
Seven Pounds


RUNNERS UP:
Wall E
The Happening
Cloverfield

This one surprised me. I was really expecting Wall E to be my top soundtrack of 2008, yet at the very last moment, it was taken away by Seven Pounds. The score really is fantastic, and the one track "Reqiuem" is one of the best tracks I've heard in years. Also, even though the film was poo... James Newton Howard's score for The Happening was still amazing. And even though Cloverfield had no soundtrack at all, the end credits suite is so good that I've not stopped listening to it all year.

TOP FILM OF 2008:
The Dark Knight


RUNNERS UP:
Cloverfield
Seven Pounds

I didn't think this one would be that though. I always knew that The Dark Knight would be the best film of 2008. Cloverfield really pushed it though. I do love the film that much. Mainly because it delivered an experience unlike any before. And Seven Pounds really came out of nowhere for me... but it's absolutely fantastic.

BEST ANIMATED TV SERIES:
American Dad


RUNNERS UP:
Family Guy
Futurama

Family Guy or The Simpsons often get the award for this category, but this year it was stolen by American Dad. The show blew me away this season, with each episode getting better and better. I never could have guessed that it could take Family Guy's crown.


BEST COMEDY TV SERIES:
Weeds


RUNNERS UP:
Scrubs
My Name is Earl

Scrubs Season 8 so far has been great. Season 7 was just okay though. It is for this reason that this year it loses its awards to Weeds. I finally got through watching Seasons 1-4 this year... and it was amazing. Season 2 was the real highlight. Hilarious whilst also incredibly dramatic.

BEST DRAMA TV SERIES:
Lost Season 4


RUNNERS UP:
Desperate Housewives Season 5
Pushing Daisies Season 2
Heroes Season 3

This was a really, really tough one. In the end I chose Lost Season 4 because of how much it revitalised the show. Lost was starting to fade away, but Season 4 blew everyone away. I was looking forward so much to Heroes Season 3, but in the end, this season of Lost was even better.

TOP TV SERIES OF 2008:
Pushing Daisies Season 2


RUNNERS UP:
Heroes Season 3
Lost Season 4

An unexpected winner of TV this year. I loved the first season of Pushing Daises, but the second season that aired this year is some of the best TV I've ever seen. The show is unlike anything I've ever seen, and it's so tragic that it has been cancelled.


TOP GAME OF 2008:
Fable II


RUNNERS UP:
Dead Space
Grand Theft Auto IV

Fable II, as I thought, was my favourite game of 2008. I loved the original, and the sequel was just as good as, if not better. Dead Space also really surprised me, I didn't expect it but it delivered the best gaming experience of the year.

So that's it. The movie, TV show, and game awards for 2008. Hope you enjoyed reading.

1 comment: