Friday 27 February 2009

TOP 5 MUSICAL FILMS

05. MOULIN ROUGE (2001)

Directed by Baz Luhrmann

Starring Ewan McGregor and Nicole Kidman

WHY?
Moulin Rouge is a hard movie to describe if you haven't seen. Bright, colourful, eccentric. Its full of energy, constantly moving... very funny yet extremely sad. The songs are actually mostly recycled, but fit in so well that you forget they are. The films one original song "Come What May" is worth seeing the film for anyway.

BEST MOMENT/SONG
The Elephant Love Medley.

BEST QUOTE
Christian: [v.o] Suddenly an unconscious Argentinean fell through my roof.
[With a loud crash, the Narcoleptic Argentinean falls through the ceiling]
Christian: [v.o] He was quickly joined by a dwarf dressed as a nun.


04. TENACIOUS D: THE PICK OF DESTINY (2006)

Directed by Liam Lynch

Starring Jack Black and Kyle Gass

WHY?
Epic rock musical. Tenacious D are my favourite band ever, and for them to make a film... this was as close as I could get to heaven. It surpassed my expectations. The film is awesome. Absolutely phenomenal tunes and pant wettingly funny, and surprisingly epic (as I would have hoped). I never get bored of watching it, or the soundtrack for that matter.

BEST MOMENT
I can't decide between Master Exploder, or the fight with the devil at the end!

BEST QUOTE
Jack's Father: [JB see's his father in the "faces" of the Gig-simulator's crowd] You're nothing but a mistake. I should have worn a condom.


03. SWEENEY TODD: THE DEMON BARBER OF FLEET STREET (2007)

Directed by Tim Burton

Starring Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter

WHY?
A very dark and moody film, yet still a true musical. Full of great songs and sequences, this is Tim Burton at his best. It isn't a conventional loud musical, but one based around atmosphere which I loved. Its incredibly gory, and all the performances are great. The art direction is the key here... everything looks so... dead. Its great.

BEST MOMENT
When Sweeney reunites with his blades - My Friends.

BEST QUOTE
[Sweeney Todd and Mrs. Lovett buy what appears to be Pirelli's Miracle Elixir]
Sweeney Todd: [opens the lid] What is this?
Mrs. Lovett: What is this?
Sweeney Todd: Smells like piss.
Mrs. Lovett: [sniffs] Smells like, eww!
Sweeney Todd: Looks like piss.
Mrs. Lovett: [unison] I wouldn't touch it if I was you, dear.
Sweeney Todd: This is piss. / Piss with ink.


02. THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA (2004)

Directed by Joel Schumacher

Starring Gerard Butler and Emmy Rossum

WHY?
I can remember clearly seeing this in the theatre when I was younger - and I was just blown away. It was unlike anything I had ever seen, or heard before. The film really lives up to the stage musical, it is an incredibly faithful adaption. Everyone is well cast which was always my main worry - and the songs still pack the punch they once did. The extra scenes actually make the story even deeper and improve the overall experience. Its a film best viewed with a very large surround sound system...

BEST MOMENT
Christine's trip to the graveyard - being pursued by the Phantom.

BEST QUOTE

Andre: Signor, isn't there a rather marvelous aria for Elissa in Act 3 of Hannibal? Perhaps the signora...
Carlotta: Yes, yes, yes, yes. No! Because I have not my costume for Act 3 because somebody not finish it! And... I HATE MY HAT!


01. THE PRODUCERS (2005)

Directed by Susan Stroman

Starring Nathan Lane and Matthew Broderick

WHY?
I can remember how I saw The Producers. Me and my family were all going to see Narnia, and really looking forward to it. It was sold out when we got there. We were really annoyed. My parents insisted that instead we all go see the new Producers film. Me and my brother reluctantly agreed. Little did I know that The Producers was a far greater film than Narnia was. This is hands down my favourite musical ever. So many people hate it, and I just don't know why. There is not one moment in this film that I don't like. Sure it may be cheesy... but thats the point! Every song is perfect, every character is perfect, every scene is perfect. There isn't one single thing I would change about it. I remember my mouth being open the whole way through the film in the cinema, because I simply couldn't believe what I was seeing. It was so immature, it was so gay, it was amazing. I have since seen it in the theatre multiple times and watch it loads on DVD... it will never ever get old.

BEST MOMENT
When they try to hire a director, possibly the gayest thing I have ever seen, or will ever see...

BEST QUOTE
Max Bialystock: I'm drowning here! I'm going down for the last time! I... I... I see my whole life flashing before my eyes! I see a weathered old farmhouse... With a white picket fence... I'm running through fields of alfalfa with my collie, Rex. No Rex, not on the alfalfa. And I see my mother... I see Mama, standing on the back porch... And I hear her calling out to me...”Alvin, don't forget your chores! The wood needs a-cordin' and the cows need a-milkin'! Alviiiiin! Aaaaalviiiiiiiiiiiin!"... Wait a minute. My name's not Alvin. That's not my life. Someone else's life is flashing before my eyes. What the hell is that about? I'm not a hillbilly, I grew up in the Bronx. Leo's taken everything from me... Even my past!


1 comment:

  1. Hmmmmm... where is Mamma Mia???? HUMPH! xxx

    ReplyDelete