Monday 23 February 2009

Oscars Reaction...

Okay... so I'm not very happy... where do I start???


Best Writing, Screenplay Written Directly for the Screen - Dustin Lance Black (Milk)

If it was up to me... Wall E would've got this one out of all the nominations. The writers managed to craft a love story between two robots! That's a pretty tough thing to do!


Best Animated Feature Film - Wall-e

No complaints here. Wall E deserved to win this one.


Best Animated Short Film - La Maison en Petit Cubes

Where was Wallace and Gromit? The new one deserved to win... it didn't even get a nomination! WHY?!


Achievement in Art Direction - Donald Graham Burt and Victor J. Zolfo (The Curious Case of Benjamin Button)

I think this deserved to win. The art direction was indeed fantastic, the film had a great look to it. Then again... so did The Dark Knight!


Achievement in Makeup - Greg Cannom (The Curious Case of Benjamin Button)

This was a tough one to call. The Dark Knight did the Joker makeup perfectly, Hellboy II had fantastic full make up costumes, and Benjamin Button had the best aging makeup I've ever seen. So no complaints here. I'd have been happy if any of them won.

Achievement in Cinematography - Anthony Dod Mantle (Slumdog Millionaire)

Another Slumdog win. Tut. Dark Knight should've won. They did action scenes in Imax for the first time in history. Surely that's quite an awesome achievement?

Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role - Heath Ledger (The Dark Knight)

Well of course he had to win. He 110% deserved it. If Heath hadn't won the Oscar, I'd of personally kicked every Oscar voters bottom into next week.




Achievement in Visual Effects - Eric Barba, Steve Preeg, Burt Dalton, Craig Barron (Benjamin Button)

I'm really glad about this one. The other two were good... but I hadn't realised that Benjamin Button's head was CG till I saw a making of video. That's quite amazing that it fooled me completely... and that's why it deserves this Oscar!


Achievement in Sound Editing - Richard King (The Dark Knight)

Finally The Dark Knight gets a technical award. Wall E should've got both sound awards though.


Achievement in Sound Mixing - Ian Tapp, Richard Pryke, Resul Pookutty (Slumdog Millionaire)

Like I said before, Wall E should have got this. It makes me so angry that Slumdog got this. When in Slumdog was there a point where exceptional sound was used? None at all. It was very conventional. Whereas in Wall E, Ben Burtt made robots talk through using sound effects. It just gets me so angry! BLAGH!

Also, like I mentioned in my Mini Oscars... CLOVERFIELD SHOULD HAVE GOT ALL THE SOUND OSCARS! THAT SOUND WAS EXCEPTIONAL AND UNBEATABLE!


Achievement in Film Editing - Chris Dickens (Slumdog Millionaire)

If anyone didn't know, this is actually the guy that did the editing for Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz too, and I'm going to do a presentation on him soon for Uni. So I'm really glad he got this Oscar.


Achievement In Music Written For Motion Pictures (Original Score) - A.R. Rahman (Slumdog Millionaire)

Me and Joel both agree this is a sham. Slumdog didn't have a lot of original score, it was mostly songs. Wall E was far better in this category... Thomas Newman deserves an Oscar by now!


Achievement In Music Written For Motion Pictures (Original Song) - A.R. Rahman, Gulzar for Jai Ho (Slumdog Millionaire)

The first Slumdog Oscar that I agree with. A catchy song and worthy of an Oscar against its competitors.


Achievement in Directing - Danny Boyle (Slumdog Millionaire)

I personally would have chosen David Fincher, but I can see what Danny Boyle did with the source material, and is worthy of this award.


Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role - Kate Winslet (The Reader)

Really pleased that Kate Winslet finally bagged an Oscar, after 5 fails! Well done Kate!


Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role - Sean Penn (Milk)

Haven't seen this performance yet, but am told its fantastic. Was quite surprising too, as everyone thought Mickey Rourke would get it.


Best Picture - Slumdog Millionaire.

Tut tut tut. Here it is. I don't have a problem with Slumdog Millionaire, I just don't think it is as good as everyone makes it out to be. It seems to be a film caught in hype, and that's why it made such a sweep at the Oscars. If it was up to me, The Dark Knight would have got Best Picture, or maybe even Wall E... but of course, Slumdog got it.


I'm sorry to rant... just the Oscars annoy me the way that a single film often seems to get a whole set of awards, some of which it doesn't even need. Like Slumdog for sound. Oscar voters need to see the bigger picture, and include more films like Cloverfield!




No comments:

Post a Comment