Tuesday 13 January 2009

MOVIE REVIEW : City of Ember

CITY OF EMBER

Directed by Gil Kenan
Starring Saoirse Ronan and Harry Treadaway


PLOT

For generations, the people of the City of Ember have flourished in an amazing world of glittering lights. But Ember's once powerful generator is failing ... and the great lamps that illuminate the city are starting to flicker.

WHAT I THOUGHT

Not sure what to think about this film. I really liked it. It had a fantastic atmosphere, I just felt the whole thing was a little rushed and the film should've been longer.

This is probably because I loved the world that the film was based in so much, and wanted to know more. The set pieces truly are the star of the show here. The sets are absolutely fantastic, and the whole design of the world is really interesting. That's why I wanted to see more.

Good performances all round though, from the two main actors who did what they were meant to do. But Tim Robbins and Bill Murray are truly the icing on the cake. I especially loved a scene where Tim Robbins was trying to delay some guards. Classic.

The film was a brilliant start, sucking me in right from the beginning - instantly wanting to know more. It then dips a little in the middle when the kids are getting a bit confused. Bless. It then definately picks up a new pace towards the end though, and when all the puzzles start coming together it's truly satisfying.

In some ways the puzzles and traps reminded me a bit of a game like Tomb Raider... that sort of feeling of accomplishment is felt.

So, I actually recommend this film... the sets are truly a sight to behold, and the design work is amazing. The storyline is good but should've been a bit deeper.

BEST MOMENT

When all the puzzles start to click into place towards the end.

MY RATING

**********



1 comment:

  1. As you are not going to review Australia, I will!

    It was Awesome! Go and see it! 9 stars!

    ReplyDelete