Thursday 11 June 2009

MY TOP 100 MOMENTS IN FILM : 90-81

90. Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me

This is a series that I've always loved. It has a great immature comedy that really makes me giggle more than most films can make me do so.

A key example of this is in the second film where Austin and Felicity are getting things out of a bag in their tent.

However, from the outside the silohuette makes it look like she's in fact pulling things out of his rectum.

It's a cleverly shot scene and perfectly shows the innuendo and utter ridiculousness of the Austin Powers humour.





89. Contact

Contact is a film that I watched as a kid and never understood. It was all a bit grown up for me! However I have recently rewatched it and its a terrific film full of suspence and great performances. The ending is disappointing, but the first two hours are terrific.

I won't give away too much of the story but the best moment for me is when the main character finally transports using the craft the signals had told them to.

The sequence where she travels through a series of wormholes is a fantastic sensory experience with amazing visuals and even better sound. It took my breath away, and is the closest thing to being on a rollercoaster within a film so far.





88. Me, Myself and Irene

I love all Jim Carrey films, but this is one of his best. It's full of moments that are classic and memorable, but the best has to be when he takes his pills without water. It gives him severe "dry mouth".

I don't know how Jim Carrey does it, but he manages to fold his lips back exposing just his teeth. The image is one of the funniest I've ever seen. Not only that, but everyone's reaction to it just makes it even funnier.





87. Romeo + Juliet

I love Baz Luhrmann as a director, Australia was great and Moulin Rouge is one of my favourite films ever. I also love what he did with Romeo + Juliet. Its certainly unique. Choosing to use the original language but updating the story to a modern setting was a brave idea that split people. I loved it though.

One of the best things about it though is the casting, Leonardo DiCaprio and Claire Danes make fantastic leads. The love scene where they meet is perfectly done. The cinematography and acting are both terrific. The best thing about it though is the music. Des'ree sings "Kissing You" which perfectly matches the romance of the scene.

I have chosen the pool scene as my favourite moment because I have always found it memorable as it blends romance, drama and comedy perfectly. Just listen out for that soundtrack though!


86. The Lost World: Jurassic Park

God I love dinosaurs. I am a mega fan of the Jurassic Park series, and though nothing could beat the first for me... The Lost World is a pretty awesome sequel.

I love how the Rex's are used compared to the first film. I'd say if the first films main villains are the Velociraptors, and the third's is the Spinosaurus... in this film it has to be the Rex. And DAMN STRAIGHT I say!

The best sequence in the Lost World though is when the Rex's come to find their baby. Words cannot describe how awesome this sequence is. Its so tense, action packed and dramatic. It's proof that Spielberg really is a master of what he does.

Not only that, but its a great showcase for showing off the dinosaurs - through both CG and the robotic versions. Too goooood....



85. Edward Scissorhands

The Ice Dance is a great sequence from a great film. In my opinion this scene sums up everything about the film.

When you ask people about Edward Scissorhands they'll talk about the music, cinematography, style, fairytalism and the snow.

This scene has everything. It's as simple as a girl dancing in the snow, but Tim Burton pulls it off fantastically into a memorable and terrific scene.





84. Finding Neverland

I find this film both easy to digest, but hard to watch. Its no bad thing. This film has great everything... story, performances and more. But it all comes with a price as many people know.

The scene I have chosen is when the Peter Pan play comes to perform in Kate Winslet's house as she is too ill to go and see it.

Its a scene that unexpectedly comes out of nowhere which shocks both the character and the audience. I always grin whilst watching this scene, yet get sad at the same time thinking about what it all means.





83. The Mummy Returns

I love both The Mummy films. Never seen the third, but the first two are terrific adventure films which are definately better than Indiana Jones 4. The first film has a higher spot on the list, but the sequel too had a scene that I'll always remember.

It's a film full of ridiculous stunts, daring adventure and high romance. (SPOILERS AHEAD!) No one expected it though when Evey is suddenly stabbed by one of the Mummy's. I couldn't believe it because I was so caught up in the story and with the characters.

I find it hard to watch when Rick then finds her. It's a great performance from both actors and a stand out scene within the film.


82. Gremlins

Gremlins is such a fun little film. It's incredibly dark yet hilariously funny. I want to shake the hand of the man that came up with the concept though just because its brought me so much joy.

My favourite scene has got to be when the Gremlins crash the cinema. There is a moment when the projector accidentally turns on and Snow White starts playing. All the Gremlins stop and watch the screen, they then start singing along. It's such an amazing moment, a comedy classic that I'll always remember. If you don't smile watching this scene... you have no soul.





81. Constantine

Many people hated Constantine, but I always enjoyed it. Keanu Reeves fits the role well and the story is dark and thought provoking.

All the best moments though are when Constantine walks through Hell. Its amazing imagery presented in a way that you've never thought possible before. When I saw this scene in the trailer I leapt out my chair and the final film didn't disappoint.

There's no talking, its all CG apart from Keanu... yet is the most powerful scene in the film. Sheer awesomeness on celluloid.



No comments:

Post a Comment