Wednesday 13 January 2010

TOP SOUND DESIGN AWARD for 2009

TOP SOUND DESIGN AWARD 2009

I love sound design just as much as CG in the big blockbusters, and in a year dominated by sci-fi... it's been extremely difficult to decide which has the best! I would have said Avatar had amazing sound design, but to be honest I could tell a lot of it was recycled from Jurassic Park which annoyed me. So I looked at what sound design made a big impression on me, and didn't annoy me at all.


WINNER: Star Trek

Of course Ben Burtt's sound design would once again take the gong. It always does. It was the sound design in Star Trek though that made me fall in love with the film instantly. In the opening battle in space when the woman gets sucked out into space and instantly hits a wall of silence. That was some fantastic sound design and the film continued its great soundscape all the way through.


RUNNER UP: District 9

Another sci-fi, this one too had great (and a lot of very original) sound. Everything from the sound of the prawns, to the weapons to the actual ship was pretty much perfect. I remember the blast from the ship that nearly made me fill my pants. Awesome.


HONOURABLE MENTIONS: Transformers 2, Terminator Salvation, Watchmen, Avatar.

No comments:

Post a Comment